Monday, April 26, 2010

One day your character could top a Forbes list

Heh. Every year Forbes magazine comes out with its Forbes Fictional 15, a list of the top richest fictional characters. This year, Carlisle Cullen jumps to the top, with an estimaed net worth of $34.5 billion. Naturally anyone would be rich who's been alive 370 years and has a "daughter" who can see into the future.



(BTW, does anyone else think actor Peter Facinelli looks bizarrely unnatural with blond hair?)

Anywho, Carlisle tops a widely varied list filled with other fictionally wealthy people like Bruce Wayne, Artemis Fowl, Chuck Bass, Tony Stark, Jed Clampett and Jay Gatsby. Also, inexplicably, the Tooth Fairy.


(Jay Gatsby makes a much better blond, fictional billionaire, in my opinion.)

I don't tend to write super-rich characters. But as a writer, I figure if you (or your character) makes nearly any kind of list in a national publication, it's a good thing.

If you've got a billionaire and want to see her or him on the list, here's the criteria, according to Forbes (and an explanation of why the Tooth Fairy makes the list) :

To qualify for the Fictional 15, we require that candidates be an authored fictional creation, a rule which excludes mythological and folkloric characters. They must star in a specific narrative work or series of works. And they must be known, both within their fictional universe and by their audience, for being rich.


Net worth estimates are based on an analysis of the fictional character's source material, and valued against known real-world commodity and share price movements. In the case of privately held fictional concerns, we sought to identify comparable fictional public companies. All prices are as of market close, April 12, 2010.

We reserve the right to bend or break any of our own rules — so yes, we know Uncle Sam and the Tooth Fairy are folkloric.
 
Who's your favorite rich and fictional character? I'll always be partial to Mr. Darcy, myself.

4 comments:

kristycolley said...

You will enjoy this article: http://www.huffenglish.com/?p=562

Lauren said...

Interesting. I didn't know they had a fictional 15. I'm not sure who my favorite is.

Lola Sharp said...

YES, Mr. Darcy is a nice choice! The Christian Bale version of Bruce Wayne isn't hard to look at.

I'd have to think a bit to come up with my ultimate favorite. (I'm going by hotness)

Cerrissa said...

this is great! I've never seen the twilight movies, but I've read all the books & I must say I always imagined Carlisle to be a brunette. This blond version of him looks eerily similar to my very attractive but pasty white yoga teacher, Keith. Now I'm concerned he might be a vampire...
also, I'm in complete approval of chuck bass and Bruce Wayne being on the list :)