Thursday, September 30, 2010

Le Petit Prince would be proud

When I was younger, my favorite animal was a sheep. Maybe that's why my longtime friend Cerrissa (she lives in NYC, is awesome, and has the best wardrobe of anyone I know) sent me a digital sheep this afternoon. It's part of The Sheep Market, a fascinating project where 10,000 people were each paid 2 cents to "draw a sheep facing to the left" on a computer program that recorded their drawings.

Go here, and click somewhere on one of the teeny gray squares to watch a sheep being drawn.



I'm not sure the humor was intentional, but it's funny to watch. Whoever drew the sheep Cerrissa sent me (you can "send" sheep to your friends--highly recommended) started out making careful curlicues for its wool, but that must have gotten tedious because by the end the curls were just huge pointy ovals that went outside the lines of the sheep.

Anyway, it made me smile, and I liked the project's connection to Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince:

"If you please--draw me a sheep..."
When a mystery is too overpowering, one dare not disobey. Absurd as it might seem to me, a thousand miles from any human habitation and in danger of death, I took out of my pocket a sheet of paper and my fountain-pen. But then I remembered how my studies had been concentrated on geography, history, arithmetic and grammar, and I told the little chap (a little crossly, too) that I did not know how to draw. He answered me:
"That doesn't matter. Draw me a sheep..."

Literature inspiring technology: that's awesome.

Also, sheep are awesome.

P. S. Here's a video where the creator explains how and why he did it.

6 comments:

Tere Kirkland said...

One of my favorite books! Thanks for the link, I'll have to check out those sheep.

Hannah Kincade said...

If you like sheep, you would love Russell the Sheep. It's a picture book and it's one of my absolute favorite bedtime books to read.

Janet Johnson said...

Love Le Petit Prince! Yes alas, I'm afraid I'd be like the crotchety old pilot. Well good reminder for me. :)

Anna Claire said...

Hannah, I'll definitely check out that book! I'm always looking for great new picture books for my son :)

lotusgirl said...

That's very interesting. I wonder if Le Petit Prince ever crossed the guy's mind. I love that book and how you discussed it here.

coffeelvnmom said...

I only had to click on about three and I was sitting here laughing, getting weird looks from my kids. (Not that I would have done a better job or anything.)

Thanks for sharing!

Jessica