Thursday, September 09, 2010

On fire for Fall

Fall is my favorite season. It makes me feel like doing very specific things, including but not limited to the following:

1. Undertake craft projects. Right now I'm cross-stitching a Christmas stocking for Mr. W. Yes, I said cross-stitching. Also I'm finishing these cute ornaments I began last year. They're by Alicia Paulson and I visit her blog religiously. I wish I lived inside her life sometimes; it's just so lovely and homey and inviting.

2. Go to Hobby Lobby and look for more craft projects to start.

3. Re-read favorite books like Jane Eyre or the Harry Potter series. Also deliciously creepy, wintry mysteries and ghost stories.

4. Bake. Last year for Christmas I got Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer, a cookbook with recipes from well-loved children's books (think Paddington's marmalade buns), and I really want to try some out. The author, Jane Brocket, is British so all of the children's books included are delightfully British-y. Brocket has a blog that's also lovely and almost like a British companion to Alicia Paulson's.

5. Buy candles and keep them burning whenever I'm at home. I'm not too picky as long as they're fallish or winterish scents.

6. Read the newspaper and do the crossword. I know I should be reading the newspaper every day all year (especially seeing as how I work for one) but sometimes it just doesn't happen in the spring and summer. Not sure why.

On Monday morning I combined Nos. 5 and 6 and would definitely NOT recommend it. I was reading the newspaper at the kitchen table where I had a yummy-smelling candle burning nearby. (you can see where this is going.) It only took me a second to realize the newspaper was on fire, but when I tried to blow it out, the fire just spread, sending blackened bits of the national news section showering onto the table and floor. I considered and rejected several options...
1. blow on it some more. Nope, that didn't work the first time.
2. step on it. Nope, I wasn't wearing shoes.
3. find a fire extinguisher. Nope, seems like overkill...
So I ran to the sink, threw the flaming newspaper in and turned on the tap. Problem solved. Plus, only a small corner of the lifestyle section was damaged (and by damaged I mean burned away) so I still got to finish the crossword.

It's the small things in life that make us happy.

5 comments:

Abby Minard said...

I absolutely love fall as well. I love that 65 and sunny weather, and the cool evenings to take walks in. But fall also depresses me because I know we're just that much closer to winter. And winter is cold. And snowy. And icy. And my winter wardrobe isn't nearly as cute as my summer one.

But..I still love it.

(oh, and glad to hear you didn't burn your house down. That would have been terribly unfortunate)

Natascha Nichole said...

All those ideas sound like something I'd like to do! I love Fall colors and long sleeves. I'm looking forward to it!

Angela S. said...

Hey there! I am new to your blog and love it. Fall is my favorite time of year too. I finished my daughters stocking last year and am working on ornaments for friends now. I think you would enjoy the book "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield and probably anything by Kate Morton, she has a new one coming out in Nov:"The Distant Hours"-I can't wait for it myself. Keep up the good work! P.S. I live in Hartselle too, small world.

Cerrissa said...

craft projects, yay!!!!!

burning things with candles is one of my specialties as well ;) def a good idea to keep them away from wherever you moving around and making stockings...i mean reading the paper.

miss u!

Hannah Kincade said...

I looooove Fall!! Numbers 3 and 5 are things I especially love to do!