Friday, November 05, 2010

This sums up Mr. W's first Halloween experience...


Mr. W was a lumberjack, so JB and I wore plaid shirts in family solidarity. A missed nap meant Mr. W. was an angry, screaming lumberjack for most of the evening while we trick-or-treated at JB's parents' house and my parents' house.

We did manage to have a fun evening anyway, once I resigned myself to what mothers through the ages have already learned: you have to adjust your expectations of any big event when a child is involved. JB could tell you I was silent and fuming on the ride to his parents' house (our first stop) because my dreams of getting adorable photos of him sitting in the leaves wearing his costume and "holding" his tiny axe that my artist sister made him were dashed. Wrecked by 10 pounds of cranky lumberjack.

Mr. W didn't even get to wear the beard I made him. When he finally stopped yelling his head off, he was sleeping and I didn't dare wake him for fear he'd start up again.

Another mom blogger (I'll try to find link) recently wrote that her son always cried on Halloween when he was younger and some of her favorite photos now are the ones where he's in costume and mad as heck.

And I actually think the one above is funny; note our forced smiles as he yells.

I have half a mind to dress him up again this weekend when he's in a better mood and get the photos we couldn't get last weekend.

5 comments:

Colene Murphy said...

So cute!!

KLo said...

The "best" pictures are the ones we never get, the ones that only exist in our imaginations.

The BEST pictures are the ones like the one you have posted--completely adorable, forced smiles and all ;-)--because you will remember not just that Mr. W was a lumberjack for his first Halloween but everything that this ended up entailing, every thought, every smile, every moment that didn't go the way you'd hoped ...

Those are worth more in the long run :-)

Donea Lee said...

I think the pic is adorable! :) That little hat is a hoot! (my daughter tells me that only old fogies still use the word, "hoot" - so forgive me...)

If you do get a pic with the beard, I hope you post it!

Irene Latham said...

Cutest lil screaming his head off lumberjack I ever did see! And YES to pics of kids crying or otherwise being cranky. I have one of my oldest being the Mad Bluebird and of my middle sticking his tongue out at me because he was so tired of having his picture taken and lots of the youngest with hands over his face. It's just part of parenthood... glad you are enjoying it.

Joanna Goddard said...

aw, totally adorable!!! even when cranky :)