Thursday, December 16, 2010

For all your fake word needs

It's like a copy writer's (or author's) best friend! IsThisAWord.com is exactly what it sounds like. A simple site where you can type in any combination of letters to see...well, if it's a word.

If it is, it'll give you the definition. If not, well, now you're free to go forth and trademark your shiny new word.

It's not just for Scrabble players and dictionary-haters. I could see how this could be helpful to SFF writers who commonly make up words and names for their worlds. I typed in "Gryffindor" and IsThisAWord said, "YES. But it's a proper noun, so whatever."

Gotta love a website with a personality.

5 comments:

T C Mckee said...

Ooh, thanks for the heads up. I'll be lost for hours now. I'm making up words all the time.

Hannah Mariska said...

oooh! cool, thank you for signposting this. I've started writing this fantasy story, and i want lots of random words for normal objects...just because :) this will come in very handy!

Colene Murphy said...

Hey! Neat! I'm glad this exists. Totally going to use it... a lot...

Donea Lee said...

I'll have to check it out! Thanks - :)

Abby Minard said...

Sweet! Now I can see if my made-up names in my world are actually names. Don't know if it'll change anything, but at least I'll know!