Monday, February 14, 2011

this year on Valentine's Day

I couldn't let V-Day pass without waxing poetically about the man I married....OK, OK I'm not a very poetic person.

But I'll say this. I married my best friend 5 1/2 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. JB was my high school sweetheart, my first kiss, my first love. Even when we took that "break" during my senior year of high school, I knew deep down there was never anyone else. Luckily, he knew that, too.

We've spent nearly half our lives together. We got lost at Versailles together, buried our wedding cake together, and made midnight runs to Waffle House more times than I can count.

He proposed to me in the same place where my dad proposed to my mom. He bought me a vintage yellow bicycle, refurbished it himself and gave it to me for Christmas. I tolerate his obsession with sci-fi and he tolerates my obsession with grammar and movies based on British novels. Our Halloween costumes have included Dwight & Angela and lumberjacks. He supports my novel writing and tells me I'm awesome at it.

We had two sons together, endured the loss of one of them together. We've held each other up, cried and laughed together, and our relationship is stronger now than ever. We're raising our sweet, beautiful son Will together.

Our marriage is not perfect. But it's one of the best things in my life and I'm so, so glad JB is mine and I am his.

5 comments:

J said...

This gave me goosebumps...LOVED it! Yall are both so blessed to have each other and you're each PERFECT for the other one. Enjoy your Valentine's Day together!

T C Mckee said...

Thanks for sharing your love and life with us all. I read your post about Graham, and when my family saw me crying, I shared your story with them. You and your family were very much in our home and hearts tonight. God bless you and your family always. Your strength is an inspiration. Thanks.

Cerrissa said...

:)

Doreen McGettigan said...

Thank you for sharing your story!

Anna Claire said...

Thanks, guys! And TC, your comment means so much to me - thank you for your prayers.