Monday, March 14, 2011

I apologize in advance for the exclamation marks

I'm obsessed with England. I might have mentioned it a time. Or two. Or three. (You can read my groundbreaking hypothesis that there are only 30 British Actors in the World, in Parts I, II, III, IV and V.)

I'm obsessed with British people and British movies and British books and British-y things like tea and the BBC. If it comes from England, it is somehow a million times cooler.

Except I've never actually been to England....until now. This spring I am going there. To England. I AM GOING TO ENGLAND. The land of Jane Austen and Adele. Red double-decker buses and windswept moors. Tea and crumpets. Beautiful accents and Colin Firth.

AAAAAHHHHHH.

JB and I collaborated on the itinerary. Then he books the planes/transportation and lets me book the hotels because I might possibly have a teeny tiny control freak problem when it comes to hotels meeting my standards. Or so I've heard.

But JB has been awesome throughout the planning because while we are seeing what he wants to see, he's been so nice about letting me dictate propose our stops as we head north from London to Edinburgh.

I just felt deep down in my overly-sentimental heart that it would not be a trip to England if I didn't get to see a windswept moor. Am I right? And it follows that one of the best places to see a windswept moor should be the home village of the queens of windswept moors, right?

So we're going to Haworth! Home of the Bronte sisters!! JB was surprisingly accommodating about this stop, considering I've subjected him to every Jane Eyre adaptation ever made (except this one! who else is super excited about it??) and he refuses to see any more of them. Or any more Austen adapations...did I mention we're going to Bath, too?

But about Haworth. Jane Eyre is my favorite novel of all time and I just couldn't not see Charlotte Bronte's home. So we're going and we're staying here:


It has IVY. And it dates back to 1752! It's called Rosebud Cottage Guest House and it got amazing reviews on TripAdvisor.

I'll fill you in on the rest of our (planned) trip in a future post, but I just had to show you Haworth and the adorable Rosebud Cottage.

And admit something. I'm embarassed to say I have a romanticised notion of Great Britain that I fully blame on BBC movies. In my head I know there's nobody over there walking around in breeches or petticoats  (except on those cheesy tours). I know Thornfield doesn't actually exist, just like I know the odds of running into Colin Firth on a street in London are impossibly slim, but those visions are hard to squelch.

In the interest of reality, have any of you been to England, and do you have any recommendations? We'll be in London, Bath, Haworth, the Lake District and Edinburgh.

4 comments:

J said...

AAAAAAAAA! Jealousy is seeping from my very pores. I absolutely, completely love England! I went 9 years ago and it was one of the best trips of my whole life. We went as a school group, so we got very little say in what we did but here a few recommendations from someone who's been:

*Tower of London -- fabulous to see all that history (I'm a big fan of Henry VIII history, though)
*Stonehenge -- don't know if that's feasible for you, but it was an incredible side trip
*walk around Westminster Abbey
*Buckingham Palace

If I could go back, I would absolutely go see a windswept moor :) PLEASE take a picture for me! And that cottage is precious. Take pictures of that, too!

If I think of more I'll let you know. So excited for yall!!!
*Julie

PS--I'm really excited about the new Jane Eyre movie, too :)

Cerrissa said...

Edinburgh is sooo beautiful! Have you seen the recent movie "The Illusionist"? It's by the same folks as "The Triplets of Belleville." Such beautiful animation and set in Edinburgh. Maybe also a romanticized version of the truth. But hey, anything to make all that rain seem a little better!

Hannah Kincade said...

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! I'm soooo jealous!!! Have fun!! Eat lots of food and take lots of pictures!

Emma Orser-Kooistra said...

I got back from London on March 12. Haven't checked Blogger since I left, which is why this comment is incredibly late :P

London is an absolutely gorgeous city. I definitely recommend hitting up Windsor Castle if you can. It's not that far out of the city and it was probably my favourite part of the entire trip. I also recommend going to Westminster Abbey. And don't forget to go on a double decker bus!

Cheers!