Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Old Menus!

In researching for my 1930s mystery (yes, I'm still writing that one), I came across a tremendous resource.

The Los Angeles Public Library Menu Collection is a database of menus from every era - it's phenomenal!

You can search by several different parameters, but I just wanted to see stuff from the 1930s so I typed "193*" in the date section and found dozens of restaurant menus, along with brief descriptions (i.e. inexpensive, type of cuisine).

There was the simple...



...coffee shops with cocktail menus....


...kitschy...




...and extremely colorful...


If you're writing any kind of historical piece, or planning a history-themed dinner party, or just curious how your parents and grandparents dined when they went out, you WANT to check out this site!

4 comments:

Tere Kirkland said...

Nice! I work at a museum in New Orleans and I'm constantly coming across old menus. So cool to see how inexpensive things were, and I love the look of the lithographic processes they used to get such bright colors, like your last example.

Thanks for sharing!

J said...

So. Very. Cool. I've always loved to look at old menus; I like to see how the prices and menu offerings have changed over the years. Thanks for sharing with this menu nerd :)

Cerrissa said...

this is soooo cool!!

Barrie said...

This is very good to know. Thanks for sharing!