Tuesday, August 02, 2011

end of summer, beginning of "school"

Starting next Wednesday, I'm sending my 14-month-old to school!

Well, not exactly school. We're putting him in a half-day "mother's morning out" program at a local church for one day a week. We love the program (we got the last spot!) and the director, the facilities are great and we've heard glowing recommendations.

But it is going to be SO HARD to leave him there. He stays at our house with my mom or my mother-in-law on weekdays while JB and I are at work (I know, we have the most perfect childcare arrangement) and I never feel bad about leaving him in the morning because he loves them and they love him.

But JB and I think Will interacting with other kids his age will help him overcome some of his developmental hurdles (left over from being a preemie and having a high-level brain bleed at birth).

I know the working moms with their well-adjusted daycare kids are rolling their eyes at this point - I know! I'm with you, really. The rational part of my brain says, come on, it's four hours, one day a week. The ratio in the class is two teachers for six kids. There are three outdoor playgrounds in an enclosed courtyard - one playground just for the littles - they go on walks and have a big open room with lots of toys.  It really doesn't get any better.

Still. It's going to be hard to leave this with strangers:

1 comment:

Irene Latham said...

They won't be strangers for long. :) I still have great fondness for a couple of MDO teachers I who loved my kids along the way. What an adorable boy!